Today, I stopped by the store with my husband, and Anna was there talking to a customer. Anna said "Pomegranate is like the bar Cheers," but for nerds.
Yep. . . pretty much.
Pomegranate Books is a bookstore, but it is also a gathering place, a hangout for neighbors, a resource for avid readers, and one of the only independent bookstores serving a large portion of Southeast NC. Here are some reasons why I like to hang out at the shop, even though I don't have to be there as much as I am.
- Free wi-fi (When you work at home all the time, it is nice to get out of the house and work once in a while)
- $1 cups of tea (and more flavors than PCJ!)
- ARCS (Advanced readers copies of books. Bring in a can of food for the SENC food bank and you get one for FREE!)
- Nell (Nell is the main shop dog. She is so funny. Mainly because she is so old.)
- Interesting conversation (You literally NEVER know what you'll end up talking about at Pom Books. School gardens, local bars, cross-country train trips, drinking coke with salted peanuts, worm compost, chickens.)
- The "gals" (Kathleen, the owner; Visha, Anna and Catherine, the store minders and my friends; and Lynetta, who has a steel trap mind full of history)